Monday, January 1, 2007

HOW WE GROW IN DEPTH OF CHARACTER

"Courage and resolution are the spirit and soul of virtue." -Thomas Fuller

I think maybe I was full of virtue as a child, but as we grow up, at some point we are robbed of our virtue and our childish hearts. Never asking for that, it happens to us anyway, some of us it happens too quickly and early- and to others of us, it doesn't.

I am one of those lucky (unlucky?) ones who kept his foolish wholesomeness for far too long. Naivette'. Isn't that what it's called? I was naive. For a long, long time. And it showed in my face... I was being carded when buying alcohol, even into my 30's.

But there is a way...

Of getting that childishness back... at least some measure of it! This happens when the heart yields to Jesus Christ. A kind of purity begins to re-enter the soul. Some measure of character is restored when we stop lying, cheating, stealing, giving too much time to the unhealthy pursuits of life, like... well, I am not even going to go there.

I am not a preacher. I am a sinner.

Nevertheless, I will not give up. Into the depths of His lovingkindness and tenderest love I will plunge and hope that He will cleanse me and restore me.

No comments: